Wednesday, August 27, 2008

So the big pour was wicked cool. I showed up at 11:30 at night so that way i could see the whole event in full swing. I wasn't the only one either there were several members of the college community watching as well as many members of the Elmira community there with the little ones. I know it's late but all five year old boys want to see big machines playing in the dirt.


When I arrived they were well ahead of schedule having 600 yards of the 775 yards poured. There were 15 cement trucks working in harmony to create a continuous flow of cement for the pour. With close to 80 cement trucks loads used to create the foundation of the new dorm.


I found out that it takes approximately

  • 6 Minutes to load the truck with cement
  • 15 Minutes to get to the site
  • 3 minutes to unload the cement into the pump that pours the foundation

While it is hard now and you can walk on it the cement will be fully hardend in three days.


They are now putting up the foundation walls which is moving way faster than I even expected. New and returning students will be able to see the foundation walls being poured right after they move in. I don't think visiting the site will be part of Orientation but it should be for those of us who just want to play in the dirt.

I will have photos up soon but life around here has kinda gotten in the way so they should be up shortly so keep an eye out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 










Elmira College Since 1855